Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Nehemiah's Prayer

We are studying the book of Nehemiah on Wednesday nights. Last week and this week have been in working through chapters 1 and 2. Well in looking at the life of nehemiah I have been humbled by the prayer which he prays. You will find it in Nehemiah 1:4-11.
It starts off by saying that immediately after he had heard the report about Jerusalem he wept and mourned and fasted and prayed to the God of Heaven.

I think about that... and I ask myself is there a time that I would respond with those emmotions and actions. What would it be?


Then just looking at the rest of the prayer there are so many things which could be talked about. To summarize God lays on his heart a vision for the rebuilding of the walls. Nehemiah responds with an obedient heart and physical actions by first crying out to God then seeking to obey the proper channels of authority. We also find that he was persistent with his prayer. Finally he prays again in Chapter 2 when the king asks him whats wrong. Then he answers the king, the king responds favorable and Nehemiah responds in v 2:8 with a recognition that it was all because God's hand was upon him.

Looking at the life of nehemiah I am challenged to look at my life and see am I responding to the present world the way GOd would?

Will I respond to the call for Godly leaders?

Nehemiah was more concerned about the people of God and the city of God then he was about his job or even his life. Of this I am convinced.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice insight. I suppose Nehemiah heard about the condition of God's capitol on Earth, and sitting in the lap of luxury, couldn't bear the thought that he was doing better than God's faithful remnant in Jerusalem. Or maybe he was simply overcome by the need and decided that helping was more important than what he was doing.

For me, a similar situation occurred when my band played for the Youth Haven counselors pre-camp kick-off. They prayed and sought more counselors, and I saw the need and was moved. I signed up to help. I didn't have to beg the king for supplies, but I did have to give up seeing my beloved girlfriend all week (as well as regular showers).