Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Spectacular Sins

So I just read this short book this morning. This was a challenging read as far as the depth of theology that is tackled in its short 110 pages. In it though were some incredible gems which Piper skillfully unpacked. The actual complete title is "Spectacular Sins and their global purpose in the glory of Christ". In this book he covers 8 topics deallying with God's sovereignty and man's sin. The accounts of Adam, The Tower of Babel, Joseph, and David as well as others are covered in this book.
Here are some of the questions which sparked the writing of this book which actually came out of a teaching series.

" How is Christ glorified in a world of sin?"
" Why does God want us to know His sovereignty over sin?"
"Why does God not restrain sin more often?"
" Can we have faith and Joy during the severity of the Last Days?"



To use Piper's words he summed up his book as follows:
" My aim is that you would conquer unbelief and despair in the face of spectacular sin and misery."

" Recently I went back almost three decades and listened to my candidating sermon at the church I still serve. It was Jan. 27, 1980. I told that old and graying downtown church that I had one supreme passion and one simple goal. I learned it from my father, and I learned it from the apostle Paul. I exist to magnify Jesus Christ. That is, I am on this planet for one ultimate reason: to do whatever I can to make Jesus Christ known and treasured - a knowing and treasuring that accords with his infinite beauty and immeasurable worth...
We are Christian Hedonist at Bethlehem. That means we believe and pursue the truth that God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in him. But we know that in this life, joy in God is never unmixed with sorrow. Never. Love wont allow that. Our banner bears the seal of 2 Cor 6:10 'sorrowful yet always rejoicing'. We are pushing our way through a blood spattered life that makes us feel connected to the world and disconnected at the same time."


This will be a book that I know I will read through again. It is short, concise and filled with scripture. I thank God for the many men who faithfully handle God's Word and proclaim the gospel message.

No comments: