Thursday, May 28, 2009

30 day fast from movies

So after pondering and reflecting on a post that Doug Philips posted from John Piper. I have decided that I would fast from movies for the next 30 days. In this time I will use the times I would normally want to watch a movie to meditate and reflect on God's word. I was specifically convicted with the thought that if I were to die today what would I want to be caught doing? My prayer is that I would be able to say " exactly what I had planned to do" . I look forward to seeing how God will challenge and grow me in this area of media and entertainment.

3 comments:

kd said...

"if I were to die today what would I want to be caught doing?"

this is something I have been pondering a lot lately as well.

Unknown said...

I used to think about that, and came up with driving a classic mustang super fast. Seriously, but it just seems funny now. I need to find something else... probably saving souls.

Unknown said...

RE: movies...
I was just talking with Sarah about how people perceive love, what falling in love is like and where our ideas about what is normal for intimacy come from. It was a new thought to realize we'd seen it all a million times in movies and TV, and that a lot of people we knew had false expectations because of that. Everything will fall together on its own, a magical enchantment carries your feelings your whole if they're really the one, soulmates (an idea tied to reincarnation, where two souls keep finding each other through multiple lives) and who knows how many other modern myths.