Tuesday, July 8, 2008

My first week in Japan

Cooking Ribs for the 4th of July party
The party in progress
Martha on right Yukie in center and Nic on the left
Outside the back entrance to the base
Looking down blue street
Tokyo Bay

The Island which is center is called Monkey Island

It has been a crazy week, time is already flying by so quick that it feels like it is hard to keep up.
Today Tuesday I received my base pass ( that is an answer to prayer) This is a pass which I have to have in order to get on and off of the base without having to be signed on by another sailor.
The week has been productive, I have been able to meet several guys, these guys have come out to the Lighthouse and are planning on continuing to come. My hope and prayer is that they will be willing over the next few weeks to meet together with the purpose of discipleship and mentoring.
Some of the things which have been difficult already is trying to make up an itinerary for my week. Which is needing to be some what fluid at first until I can know what is required and when.
So far my relationship with Jim and Martha has been going well. There is still room though for improving on our communication between each other.
Today I spent the morning just walking around the base and the city. It was a nice time to just get out and see the town. Trying to learn more how the city is laid out is a challenge. It is very difficult to know which way you are going until you learn the streets. It is not at all like Lansing which is laid out in a grid. Mostly because you have hills and little mountains that the houses and roads all wind around and are nestled between. This can make for some great adventures.
There is another person who lives at the Lighthouse right now. Her name is Yukie, and she is japanees. She has been connected with the ministry here for at least 3 years. She became a follower of Christ in 2006 and has been connecting with the bible study here at the Lighthouse ever since. She and I are close in age and have been able to have some fun times already. She has been showing me around town and the base. She has a great since of humor so we are continually joking around which brings joy and laughter to the house. Though we have also been able to have several very good conversations. Pray for her as she is looking to God to determine her direction in life. ( I guess I can relate to that :} )
Also I just remembered a salior named Gregg. He has been in the hospital recoving from a colasped lung. Pray for him and for his spirit to be lifted, he is a new believer and is seeing God at work, his mom is not a believer and he is trying to encourage his mom to be thinking about God. Pray that through this God might make himself know to her.
Well this is probably extremly long I dont know because I have not gone back to look yet. I guess once I get my fingers typing it seems to just flow. I just wanted to close with sharing how encouraging it is to know that God is in control. I say that because I saw it first hand in all of the people who have gotten behind me and the minitstry here in Japan. There are so many people who have and are supporting me financially and in prayer. That means so much to me, to be half way around the globe and yet to get an email or note that says hey you were being thought of and we are praying for you. THat is the body of Christ in and at work. So to those of you who read this and you fall into that catagory Thank you for your support of me and the ministry here. I pray that God will bless for you support of His Body.
For HIS GLORY
EH

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - 1 week in and you have already done all of these things - God is truly amazing. I will pray for your requests. Remember to leave things in God's hands and His timing. You are doing work for the Kingdom - That is what He wants !!

Douglas Phillips said...

Hey E,

Sounds like you're off to a great start. We're praying for you.

Have you thought about starting a croquet league there at the base? It can be a powerful means for developing deep fellowship, and for mentoring others. :-)

D-Train

Joel said...

Erik!

Sounds like you are adjusting quickly to the life in Japan! I imagine you are diving in head first - I can't wait to hear how things continue to progress for you. We'll be praying for your ministry, as well as the relationship between you and Mom and Dad. Hey, maybe you and Yukie can figure out what God wants to do with your lives together....=)
Sorry - couldn't pass it up. Anyhow, we missed you Sunday morning - it's just not the same without you around.

Joel

Stacy said...

What a busy first week. I am so very excited for you and it is my prayer that your love for God will shine through in everything you do.

Please know you are in my prayers.

Stacy

Jeremy said...

E,

Remember what you learned before you left for Japan. That's right, the Moo Shoo Finger hold!!! Ska Dush!!!

It's good to hear (read?!?) from you. Glad to hear everything is going well, and can't wait to hear more of how God is working in the lives of those around you.

- Jeremy

Berna K said...

Hi Erik,

Hope you are doing well. I enjoy reading your blog and seeing pictures of Japan.It is fun. You know God will direct your steps as you follow Him. I hope you just enjoy every moment and let God work in and through you.You really are a true blessing wherever you are. Keep us inform about what God is doing over there.Take care. Berna