Tuesday, February 3, 2009

God's Incredible Grace in confounding the world

1 Corinthians 1:27-31

"But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despise in the world, even the things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. He is the source of your life in Christ Jesus, whom God made our wisdom and our righteousness and sanctification and redemption. Therefore, as it is written, ' Let the one who boast, boast in the Lord.' "

I think about this concept and I am humbled by the fact that even when I am in the midst of being brought low and humble by God, and have struggles and sin that I am working on in my own life. God sees fit to bless people through me and to carry out an impacting ministry. That is totally by God's grace that it takes place.

Which is really the reality of it always but I was just blown away by that thought yesterday. Knowing that I would rather be where I am mentally and spiritually now than where I have been in the past. The end of that passage ends with " let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord" what does that look like in my life. Do I boast in the Lord to the people around me? Paul saw fit that it was only enough to know Jesus Christ and Him crucified. This is just encouraging to me that the ways of the Lord are many times totally opposite to the way of the world, why, so that no one can boast in themselves but in God alone. To finish the thought in my head, God equips those who he calls. So here I am knowing that I am a child of God one who has been bought with a price and one desiring to glorify God in his body and with his life.

I know that God has called me as a child of His to live my life out for Him. I must trust that He will equip me and provide for me as I follow Him. For and I quote " I was with you in weakness and fear and much trembling, and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.

1 comment:

Matt said...

Amen, Erik! I've seen God equipping you for those good works in the short time we've known each other. I'm always encouraged by your passion to share the Gospel with others. Like I said this weekend, I'll be an E supporter for life. :)

Matt