Thursday, February 12, 2009

A trip to the dentist

Well I thought that I would take a minute and share with you my experience today at the dentist. I will start by saying that I never realized how many things I take for granted in every day affairs. So I ended up going to the college of dentistry which is right outside the back gate of the navy base. So I walk down to the building and walk in the front entrance. There I am greeted by a receptionist who hands me a card that I need to fill out. Then I am told well showed that I need to take the info to the window number 4. There my information is processed into a file and I am handed a baby blue briefcase and am told in brocken engrish to go to the third floor. So I do and upon arriving on the third floor I hand my BBBriefcase over to the ladies behind the counter and I am motioned to have a seat in the waiting area. So I sit and wait with open ears wondering what it is going to sound like when they call my name. Not much time passes and I am greeted by a gentleman calling my name and am asked to follow him. I follow him into a room that is probably a hundred plus feet long by 60 feet wide in this room are four rows of dentist chairs probably 32 or more. Well I am taken to a private chair in the corner where I guess I am going to get my consulte. So the gentleman spoke alittle engrish and procedeed to look at my mouth. After a brief look he writes some things on his chart and says that i need to go and get an x ray. So I am sent up to the fourth floor again with my BBbriefcase. I am agian asked to sit and wait and I again go through the routine of reading my book but listen with an alertness to hear when my name is called. So they take the xray my tech spoke no english and then I am sent back out to the waiting area again to wait for my xray to be processed. Once my xray was done I was sent back down to the third floor with my BBB to again turn in my BBB and wait in the waiting area. I am then again greeted with the gentleman who did my first consult and he and another lady then look at my xray and tooth. I am then told that I have an emergancy procedure that is needed but I have not idea what they said. For lack of being able to understand their engrish. I did have a look at the xray and could tell , from my past experience in the dentist) that the tooth did have a small area of decay next to the part that had been worked on last June. So I am again asked to leave the area and go wait out in the waiting area while they determine who is going to be my dentist. I wait a few min, probably only a page of my book, and then I am asked to follow this lady. So to another chair this time it is on the oppisite side of the room and is in the line of chairs. I sit and notice that I have a chair at 12 another at 1:30 and another at 3 oclock. All have people in them, this is a busy place. Did I mention this is a school of dentistry. Anyway I am no being worked on with two ladies who do not seem to speak any english. So I lay back and trust that God is in control of this situation and I am not going to lose all of my teeth. Well the gal ends up drilling a whole and then applying medicine I believe in the whole and then filled the hole temporally. This procedure lasts probably fifteen minutes and then I am again given my BBB and told to go to the second floor to schedule my appointment with my doctor. So now I have an appointment next Tuesday at 9am with Doctor Hokido( something like that). So then I am sent back done to the main floor to pay for my procedure. All in all I came out with a bill of 10,038 yen or around a hundred dollars. With all that said I believe the swelling has subsided some but not completely. I think that I have a root problem on the same tooth that was worked on in June. They asked me if I could feel any pain from the cold when they applied it and I said no. Then they asked if I could feel any pain from the tooth before they drilled. At least I think they drilled and then filled the hole. I said no so they procedeed. This was done with out any numbing of course I didnt need it because I felt no pain during the procedure. I dont know if this means the tooth root is dead or if it is still alive. I dont know it I need a root canal or if they are going to extract the tooth I dont know yet and wont know until next Tuesday. Well that is all I hope you enjoyed my tooth story and I do thank you for your prayers

4 comments:

EH said...

I thought of posting some pictures of my mouth but I thought better of it. So I hope your imagination works. :)

kd said...

wow quite the experience

chris said...

I will never again complain about a visit to our dentist. I would have been horrified to have someone working in my mouth and not telling me what they were doing. Your are brave!!

Unknown said...

School of dentistry? Seriously? You are a brave man. The standard operating procedure in Japan is to stretch out the dentistry to as many appointments as possible. Dentist billing is regulated by the government, so to get what they're worth, they have to make multiple appointments. I had a crack fixed. The dentist was pretty good at English. He also had a pet dog in the office. That was weird.