Thursday, September 11, 2008

some quotes to ponder

Since I am wrestling with some of these I thought that I would share a few so that I would not have to be the only one.

From a book written about the life of Robert Murray M'cheyne (thanks Brian for the book)

"Reading H. Martyn's Memoirs. Would I could imitate him, giving up father, mother, country, house, health, life, all - for Christ. And yet , what hinders? Lord purify me, and give me strength to dedicate myself, my all to thee!"

"journal entry: " Somewhat overcome. Let me see: there is a creeping defect here. Humble, purpose-like reading of the Word omitted. What plant can be unwatered and not wither?"

"journal entry: Self examination. Why is a missionary life so often an object of my thoughts. Is it simply for the love I bear to souls? Then , why do I not show it more where I am?"

"journal entry: Composition- a plesant kind of labour. I fear the love of applause, or effect, goes a great way. May God keep me from preaching myself, instead of Christ crucified."

Theres a few that I have mean chewing on.

This man came to know Christ around the age of twenty and died at the age of 29.

2 comments:

Wes said...

Wow. Thanks for that Eric. 'Why don't I share Christ more where I am?'

kd said...

Why is a missionary life so often an object of my thoughts. Is it simply for the love I bear to souls? Then , why do I not show it more where I am?

visiting with Joanna and Michael Schwamb this week and talking of reentry and just pondering over that same thought of if I'm thinking of missionary life why is it not showing in what I'm doing now? and trying to think of when I get home opportunities as well as still in Mexico more things to do to be faithful here and now tomorrow not being a guarantee.